Old 08-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #31
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

As a -nearly - daily user of both writer2xhtml.oxt on LO 6.4.5.2. and of writer2latex.jar with Sigil 1.3. and odtImport plugin 0.3.1. (both of them use in fact writer2xhtml 1.6.1.), I just can say that they both work nicely today. I'll try it asap with LO 7.
I'm interested that you get writer2xhtml to run well with LO 6.4.5.2. I'm using 6.3.5.2 and I couldn't get any of the writer2xhtml options to run to completion when launched from the File > Export menu. Every time the export failed with some sort of general import/export error.

This was disappointing because I rather liked the gui interface with all the options that writer2xhtml presented.

The one case which did work ok was from the Publish button on writer2xhtml's small toolbar. Because it didn't allow me to select a file name, care was needed to avoid overwriting a previous version.

Quote:
- Images in the odt file (including cover) are processed without problem.
In the case I tried, I didn't have a cover image in the odt file because I normally use Sigil to add it to the epub file. So I was somewhat surprised to see that the ODTimport plugin hijacked my first image to build a cover page - especially since it didn't reuse the image in its proper place.

Over the weekend, I loaded an odt file into Calibre and then converted it to epub. The result wasn't too bad but the epub did need some cleaning up.

Perhaps the worst was Calibre's production of unwanted and useless <span>'s. One short paragraph was more than doubled in size by what seemed to me to be useless <span>'s calling up CSS "classes" to apply to a single letter. The original odt paragraph was a two liner in Text Body style with no manual formatting applied.

Calibre did not hijack any image to produce a cover page but instead created the page with a text based svg image.

At present, I'm unable to decide which workflow is going to require the least cleaning up.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote