View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are otherwise happy with your Kindle, getting KindleFIX working is going to be much cheaper than buying a new device. Sometimes it takes a while to get things setup correctly, but once you have KindleFIXed one ebook the process will become completely routine.

Most of the excellent instructions in the Visual Kindle Guide have been deleted, even though Amazon only objected to KindlePID (not KindleFIX which is completely legal). However, it still includes Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac which explains how to open a command window. For Python, I use ActivePython 2.6.1.1 from here. Don't download python 3, because most scripts are not compatible with it yet. Once you get this far, note that most python scripts will return a "usage" message when invoked with no arguments. Just copy the python script (e.g. notkinflefix.py, say) to the same directory as your ebook (e.g. My Documents\My eBooks), open a command window, cd (change directory) to that same directory and issue the command with no arguments
Code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\My eBooks
notkindlefix.py
I typically get the directory location for cd by copying it with the mouse from a file window address bar and pasting it into the command window. This should give you the usage message from the script. If you get a usage message, then the odds are you can run the command on an ebook.

Note that many packages also come with a plain text "readme.txt" file explaining their use in a bit more detail than the internal usage message.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote