View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #75
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That said, please let me try to clarify things in the hope this does not degenerate further.

(...)

Hopefully, this will make everything clearer to everyone involved.

Hope this helps.

KevinH
That's exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Come to think of it, my ePub3-itizer plugin already has the code to parse an ncx and extract destination links and source text. You could convert those links to book paths, and use the plugin interface to open the correct destination file ... so a rough prototype should be doable.

If no one else wants to take a shot at this, I will ... but ... I am tied up for the two weeks or so.
That would be amazing if you manage to find the time to get to it, I'd be really grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

Fantastic summary of what Mister L intends.

Omnibuses (combining or splitting) are one use-case.

For example, the case I gave before of TOC:

Code:
“Article Title” by First Last
where the HTML might be:

Code:
<h2>Article Title</h2>
<p class="author">First Last</p>
Let's say I have Volumes 1-10 of journal articles in a single EPUB, and now I want to split each volume into 10 individual EPUBs.

I have a perfectly good TOC already generated... so (theoretical) plugin should be able to:

Code:
<h2 title="“Article Title” by First Last">Article Title</h2>
<p class="author">First Last</p>
This allows me to import Volume 1's HTML files into a separate EPUB, then regenerate using Sigil's Tools > Table of Contents > Generate Table of Contents.
Yes exactly. I hadn't thought of the particular use case you describe until you mentioned it and I'm sure there are plenty more I haven't encountered or thought of. I mentioned previously in this thread some of the more common use cases for me:
- splitting an omnibus
- creating an omnibus from previously published individual books
- adding new material to a previously published book (first chapter of a different book, as a preview; new introduction; etc.)
- cleaning up a book (from Project Gutenberg) which was very badly formatted to begin with.

As for the reason someone would have for doing any of these, in my case most of the time it's because that is what the client (a publisher) has hired me to do.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote