View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #14
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Oh jeeze, I completely misread Mister L's and the other posts. I thought Title Casing methods were being discussed like:

Code:
<h2>TEXT</h2> -> <h2 title="Text">TEXT</h2>
<h2 title="Text">T<small>EXT</small></h2> -> <h2>Text</h2>
so I typed up the ultimate "Title Casing: Everything You Didn't Know You Ever Wanted to Know" post.
Heh. Yes I did have the impression we had wandered a little bit.

Quote:
After rereading entire thread, I see Mister L meant the EPUB's TOC (nav/NCX) already had the chapters capitalized the way he wanted.
Correct.

In fact it's not limited to questions of case, it can also be the presentation of chapter number + title (with a line break or in 2 separate tags in the html, but separated with a point or a dash in the TOC...) or something else. Either way the point is they have already been correctly formatted for the TOC but it's impossible to retrieve that information easily so if you have to modify the TOC you have to re-do all the work which has already been done (in addition to all the work of fixing someone else's terrible code). And as my examples show there is no "one size fits all" solution when you start with the xhtml files so there aren't even any shortcuts, it's really inefficient and frustrating.

Quote:
Well, the 2nd example you gave in Post #1 wasn't correct in the file... so those recommendations were mostly geared towards cleaning types like that.

But now I see what you mean by "correct in the file".
"For certain values of 'file'"

(But yes obviously I would never consider those title formats "correct" in the html files. I think we agree on that question. It's astonishing the terrible state of some files made by so-called "professionals" who have charged for their services. These are books made for publishers and on sale in bookstores.)

Quote:
Yeah, French title casing probably brings in its own issues like lowercase l’ before words, or keeping "pour" lowercase.
French I think is simpler than English. The first word of the title is capitalised, and if that word is "The" then the second word generally is as well, but the rest is lower case, except for proper nouns, just like in a sentence. Obviously there can be other exceptions which further complicate the question for regex purposes (roman numerals, acronyms...).

Last edited by Mister L; 06-24-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote