View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #28925
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
My review of The Selection (The Selection, #1), by Kiera Cass:-

Spoiler:
I reckon the haters might have a point, but this book won me over. At the time of writing, I only know that this book was very good and that there are sequels. I don't know how many or whether this series has been brought to a conclusion.

The story flows very much like a Chaplinesque film such as the Great Dictator. When two of the love triangle are talking, the decor, the surroundings, the palace, the tree house all of these melt away. There is a lot of symbolism involved. E.g. the clumsy name of Maxon that preempts the strange character of the Prince. There's the assignment of 3 maids to each selected. So many more. The ear tug... was a nice touch.

I'm slowly being won over by the YA genre, a concept that I had ditched in favor of the cozy genre. What I prefer most about the genre is that it sits slightly above the beach read label. That's what a bestselling book like Crazy Rich Asians lacks. The Selection doesn't try to please everyone. That's the key in art.

Last edited by Luffy; 06-07-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote