View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 01:23 AM   #45
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
However the author sort field came out different in the imported books. The book that had names stored in "first last" format showed both names in the author sort field (last1, first1 & last2, first2). But the other book, with names stored internally in "last, first" format, showed only the first author in the author sort field (last1, first1) marked in red. So there does appear to be something going wrong with author sort during the calibre import of that book.
Thanks for taking the time to replicate it.

I just read your reply in the other thread. If I understand you correctly, a Kindle only recognizes the metadata in the "Author(s)" field and doesn't register anything I enter into the "Author sort" field (unless I check the option in advance settings to use it).

That makes sense (and I think it answers my question in the other thread), but it confuses me more on this issue.

The problem I described (and you replicated) results in a .mobi file with the correct metadata (i.e. both authors' names) in the "Author(s)" field, but deletes the second author's name in the "Author sort" field.

If I'm not using the "Author sort" field (i.e. I've not checked the box in advance settings to use it), then it shouldn't matter that it's missing metadata. My Kindle shouldn't be looking to that field.

Moreover, if the Kindle is looking to the "Author(s)" field, which does retain both authors's names, then why aren't both of them displaying on my Kindle?

In fact, my Kindle displaying only the first author name is what led me to believe it must be looking at the "Author sort" field rather than the "Author(s)" field.
A Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote