View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Poems in any language. But if you can, an English translation would be welcome.
Excluding songs (poetry set to music) I only remember fragments of poems, although once upon a long ago, I did get halfway through memorising The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The most persistent fragment of poetry I remember are both from Der LattenZaun (English translation)
Quote:
Es war einmal ein Lattenzaun, mit Zwischenraum, hindurchzuschaun
It's been far too long since I was comfortable or even vaguely comfortable in German, but the sound of that opening line has never left me. Nor has the (to me) still amusing "punchline" of the final lines

Quote:
Der Architekt jedoch entfloh
nach Afri — od — Ameriko
The forced "rhyme" of the "o" endings still makes me smile, making me think of Emo Philips' song "most states", which does the same thing, with a different set of vowels.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 03-20-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote