View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, my point. KFX isn't really about features for real ebooks. EXISTING azw/KF8 could do kerning and hyphenation like epub2 simply with Kindle FW updates. KFX is about more DRM, more control and optimising whispernet a little to reduce Mobile network costs. Also KFX is contrary to Publisher DRM choice as there so far is no DRM free version.

I'll continue downloading AZW3 versions from Amazon and reading on my Kobo Libra.

Select "Transfer via PC" and buy physical Kindle if you only have an app.
AZW is Mobi and that's not going to get any new features. So please leave that out.

Amazon could have written the KF8 renderer to do hyphenation and kerning and all KF8 eBooks would have "enhanced typesetting" instead of just those able to be converted to KFX.

I agree 100% that KFX was most likely developed to have a format with forced DRM. The enhanced typesetting is smoke and mirrors so most people will want it because of hyphens and kerning.

In the case of downloading KF8, in most cases, you can use KindleUnpack to shift the KF8 to ePub. You then use the Calibre editor to fix any errors. In most cases that I've had, fixing the errors is very easy to do. In some cases (mostly self-published from what I've seen as the big 5 start with ePub that also works on other devices), the code can be a right mess and a full conversion to ePub is the easiest solution.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-17-2020 at 07:05 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote