View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I have several dozen books about the various world mythologies (most of which were cosmologies and religions rather than folk stories) but not all as well documented as the European mythologies. (Makes it hard for non-pros.) Most are even less used than greek, norse, and celtic myths. Japanese myths I've found a few nice fantasies in translation, though.

(And no, I don't count MOANA or anything else Disney-fied.)
Indeed I noted that we depend on the translations to English. I've watched some Chinese and Japanese films based on their legends (with subtitles, many in B&W). Some of which are accessible in English. Generally excellent compared to Disney syrup.

I'm against censorship, but I really wonder should there be a massive import duty everywhere outside the USA on the perverted and distorted Hollywood versions of history (Pocahontas) and myth/fairy (Anderson's Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Mulan, Braveheart, Moana, Aladdin and Norse). And also the related toys. Related, Lucas got $100M from Hasbro towards making the Phantom Menace. Also warnings on the package that it's only vaguely inspired by the original stories. I and wife missed Disney Sleeping Beauty as kids and found it an appalling "re-telling". The stupid fluttering three fairies. Deletion of the 100 years!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote