View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And I personally prefer the old myths. I do have to admit to having had a mad little-girl crush on Marvel's Thor when I was about 8y.o., though! :-) He'd been introduced the year before, and yup, I was crazy for Thor. Ha! (I had to sneak comics into the house; my mother felt that they were dreck, and that we should be reading real books.)

Hitch
Funny thing about fantasy: these days there is very little use of the classic mythologies.
Tolkien's shadow froze too much of the epic fantasy subgenre into quasi-medieval forms.

One thing the better THOR and WW runs did was mine the norse and greek myths for fun stories. I'd love to see more Olympian and Asgardian fantasies along the lines of Lester Del Rey's DAY OF THE GIANTS.
He got Loki and Thor right, too.

Anyway, back to the mystery tropes thing, Asimov's BLACK WIDOWERS bar trope could also use some modern mining. Maybe set in a cop bar or during a floating poker game, like on Castle.

Most genres have at a few classic tropes that could stand to be dusted off and reused. In SF, there's the road trip/triptych format. It used to be pretty common early last century but the last good ones I've run into are Harrison's DEATHWORLDs and Farmer's GREEN ODDYSEY.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote