View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 01:49 AM   #86
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I think this is an excellent summary of the Gilbert in Part 1 of the novel. He is certainly very flawed. The attack on poor Lawrence was unjustified and criminal. He eventually succumbs to the attacks on her character by the gossips of the community.

On the other hand Gilbert does have certain virtues. He realises clearly that Helen is a very superior person and shows an affection for little Arthur (though he is rather nasty when he loses faith in Helen). He works hard, is honest, reliable, respectable and respectful.

I am quite far behind most everyone else and have not reached section 3 yet but I suspect that Brontė will in some manner create a method by which Gilbert will redeem himself and be worthy of Helen.

Some other thoughts I have at the moment follow.

Helen, herself, strikes me in section 1 as a well developed character with a strength that has come from the suffering she underwent in part 2. Throughout the latter we see her developing a moral strength even as we see her girlish love change to bitterness.

The young Helen is far too sure of herself and her ability to reform Huntingdon. Thus she rejects the quite sensible advice (given the times) of her aunt in chapter 17.

“Oh, Helen, Helen! You little know the misery of uniting your fortunes to such a man!”

In chapter 23 she gives a religious harangue that would turn anybody off—not least a young husband. Helen may well love Huntingdon but her lack of experience and limited knowledge of basic human nature ensure her failure.

By chapters 31 & 32 Helen has not only become aware of the base qualities of her husband and his companions but she is forced to witness the horrifying degradation of her gentle friend Milicent by her brutal husband Ralph Hattersley. The horror of the scenes come from the way the husband treats his wife—not as a loving fellow adult—but as a property, an infantilised slave whom he can use as he pleases. Throughout thiese episodes Helen bravely asserts Millicent’s human dignity but there is no possibility of making any impact on the mind-set of a man like Hattersley—and his would be the default position.

This powerful proto-feminism conveys anguish and fury and is quite moving. It is the finest section of the book I have so far read.
Update
WELL! I have gone on to chapter 33 and things have certainly developed. Obviously I am approaching a new section of the book. I’ll comment later when I finish.

Last edited by issybird; 11-22-2019 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Fixed tags.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote