View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by A random blob View Post
Hello

So on my Kobo I have around 400 transferred ePub books and I love them. Recently I found out about KePubs and I wanted to convert my already existing epubs to kepub. But, I don't want to remove 400 books from kobo then transfer 400 new kebpubs back to it. It'll really put a lot of stress on it.

Is there any way of converting them while they're on the Kobo ereader
There is no way to convert them on the device without adding them as a new book. If you don't have the books elsewhere, you could probably run kepubify on them while the device is connected. That will create kepubs from the epubs, but, it doesn't replace them, or remove the epub version (at least I don't think there is an option to remove them). If you are already a calibre user, you can just use that.

And adding 400 new books is not a problem for the device at all. If you only have 400 books on the device, you are at the lower end of the number of books. Doubling that is not a worry. You can start getting concerned when you hit five figures.

Quote:
Is there any way to keep my current progress? Like markings, notes, read (finihshed) books etc.
The device will treat the new kepubs as completely new books. If you use my Kobo Utilities plugin, you can store the reading status and position for the ePubs. You can then restore the reading status, but not the position. The locations are stored differently for ePubs and kepubs. There isn't a method to convert between them.

Similarly for annotations. There aren't any methods to export the annotations and apply them to a different format. If you want to store the annotations, you can use the Annotations plugin to store them in a column in calibre.
Quote:
I also have quite a few groups (collections) which I custom arranged by hand which I would feel really bad losing
Again, not really. The books are not the same books, so they have to be added to collections separately. This would be the easiest of these to hack in the database, but, it would still be some work.

There is a solution if you are a calibre user. Again, my Kobo Utilities plugin has a function to fetch the collections from the device and store them in calibre. You can then use the driver to send those collections back to the device after you put the kepub versions of the book on the device.

Quote:
Awesome, so if I try with one book, it should be fine with others then? Would that be ok?
What @ZodWallop is doing only works because the same format is being sent back to the device with exactly the same name. And calibre is being used. It can fool the device into thinking the book hasn't changed. But, it doesn't work if a different format is being used.

And yes, you should try a few books and see if you do prefer the kepub format.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote