View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
He is definitely an odd one, but maybe a product of the times, as in 60s and 70s, where he indulged a little too heavily in many of the trends back then. If I was to make a guess, it was his Jerry Cornelius stories that set the tone, and in some ways has given him his radical air and somewhat overblown sense of brilliance. That's not to say he hasn't had brilliant moments, and written many grand things, but in the overall scheme of things, he is probably just an anti-establishment rebel type person who has a good way with words. And one cannot deny he is somewhat an icon in the fields of fiction he has engaged in.

As a reader and collector of his works, I have mixed feelings about him, and especially when he criticizes other writers. I've not read anything yet, story wise, that he has written in the last 2 or 3 decades, so I am mostly going by what I have read (majority) of his earlier works, and a bunch of interviews and essays he has been involved in since.

My favorite novel of his is probably Glorianna. Which of course has ties to Mervyn Peak's Gormenghast, which was absolutely brilliant.

I am also a big fan of some of the music of Hawkwind from various eras, so we do have a few things in common, including being rebel like.
Different strokes for different folks. I never could get into the Jerry Cornelius and Glorianna was the book that turned me off Moorcock. Just not my cup of tea. Really liked the Corum and Hawkmoon books most of all, and liked the Elric books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote