View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #11
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
@GrannyGrump

Family History research is one of my hobbies - I treat it like a jigsaw puzzle and as an intellectual exercise to keep the brain working. As a result I have paid access to some of the necessary database services.

I was lucky here with the spelling of the name Andrewes which is relatively uncommon.

It's interesting to see that all the authors in the family used the Browne surname for their published works. Margaret would have been only 19 when her first work was published in 1884. It must have been easier to get published at that age with a father who was a publisher and a mother an established author.

A minor point - Margaret was born in Q2 of 1864 not 1865 - this is what comes from using age at census rather than going back and checking.

As far as I can see Margaret stopped showing an occupation on censuses after she had married, possibly because it was not thought seemly for a wife of a stockbroker to be earning money. This may also be the reason her books stopped around 1910 though that may also have been the fact that she was no longer in a literary environment.

She died on 11 January 1936 at 8 North Grove, Highgate, London. Probate shows her effects were worth £7,250 6s 8d.

When her husband died in 1950 he was worth £41,106 15s 8d
--------------------

Pleased to be able to help and to look at the lives of folk other than weavers, council roadmen, nightsoil workers etc.

Without a bit more info about your other artists I doubt if I would have a decent starting point to research them.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote