View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #32
ratinox
Evangelist
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
I can easily zoom-in on two-column A4 pdf, reading four screens per pdf page on Aura One in portraite, or easily read A4 pdfs with only 16 cm text width (wider empty margins) two screens per page in landscape, but one-column A4/letter size pdf documents with the 17-19 cm text width (narrow empty margins) can only be reflowed because 8" readers are only 16 cm wide in landscape, and I would not try panning on every single text line even on my iPad pro.
If the built-in PDF viewer annoys you that much then you could use KOreader instead.

Quote:
I've bought Aura One mainly for reading scanned paperbacks/hardcovers that make majority of my current pdf books and although those are easily legible in Aura One's portraite (12 cm width) they are also as legible on Kindle DX portraite (14 cm wide).
So, here's a side-by-side test. I'm using a page from Tsutomu Nihei's "BLAME!" manga. This particular page shows off a lot of different kinds of detail: lettering, line art and zip-a-tone shading. The examples are this file processed with ImageMagick to match the native PDF viewer resolutions of each device and then photographed with my less-than-magnificent Pixel 3a.

convert -verbose -strip -format jpg -quality 85% -fuzz 1% -trim +repage -gaussian-blur 0.05 -filter Lanczos -resize 1150x776 blame_vol1_008-original.jpg blame_vol1_008-DX.jpg
convert blame_vol1_008-DX.jpg blame_vol1_008-DX.pdf

convert -verbose -strip -format jpg -quality 85% -fuzz 1% -trim +repage -gaussian-blur 0.05 -filter Lanczos -resize 1440x1920 blame_vol1_008-original.jpg blame_vol1_008-Forma.jpg
convert blame_vol1_008-Forma.jpg blame_vol1_008-Forma.pdf

The first photograph is the DX pdf on both Kindle DX and Kobo Forma.
IMG_20191003_190141.jpg
The second photograph is the DX pdf on Kindle DX and the Forma PDF on Kobo Forma.
IMG_20191003_190157.jpg

Aura One is 1404x1872 if you want to perform a similar comparison with that device.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote