View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I find this quote both interesting and apt, since paper books, the subject of this topic, did not even exist when Kikero (phonetic) was alive. Clearly, he liked his rooms to be full of reading material in the format he was familiar with. Making his quote capable of being used to defend ebooks as well, since his quote was about the content not the medium. Unless, of course, those using his quote abjure paper books in favour of scrolls and codices
It's unlikely that he actually said that. The quote is more modern and is possibly a paraphrase of something that he did say in one of his letters which was translated as "Since Tyrannio has arranged my books, the house seems to have acquired a soul". Of course, the word used "libros" is the plural of libro, the root of the word library. You are correct that the word is used in the context of content rather than actual media since books as we know them didn't exist then.

One can argue that the quote really means that a house with an ordered library in whatever media has acquired a soul. I know that many people find being able to see their books and browse through their collection, restful and calming.

Last edited by pwalker8; 09-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote