View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The Light Phone, an e-ink, minimalist phone. Is there a need for this?

From time to time I see people proudly proclaiming their refusal to use a smart phone.

I just read this article about a company called Light that is introducing the Light Phone 2. This is a four inch phone with an e-ink screen and minimalist design. It can be used for calls, texts and an alarm. That's it. Due to the company's small size, the phone has a price tag of $350.

I think trying to create a minimalist phone is admirable. There's plenty of people out there that claim to want one. But as the article points out, the problem with minimalism is The One Thing. Every user will think the phone is just missing this one thing. Unfortunately, what that one thing is varies user to user.

Honestly, I feel that anyone that wants a minimalist phone would do well buying a Google Pixel and just don't install any apps on it.

Out of the box, you have phone, text, messaging, maps, a nice camera and a web browser. And you'd have an option for the One Thing you feel you're missing.

Anyway, interesting article. Worth a read.

(I couldn't decide if this was news: A new e-ink device is out, or general discussion: is there really a need for a minimalist phone?)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote