View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:12 AM   #10
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yabbut, if the client was like that, they wouldn't be contracting the work. Right?
Completely depends.

Quote:
Oh, sure, RUB IT IN.
Spoiler:
(Tex is consulting with me on a book that's pretty much all scientific notation/math, all the time.)
Maths is a hard problem, and not many tools can even handle MathML:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forum...mathml-support

Quote:
Nope, you're just addicted to Open Source and you have that mindset that anything NOT OS = "eeevil." But I love ya anyway.
Proprietary tools can go suck it. :P

There are only very few that are the top of their game, and I will begrudgingly allow within my workflows, but they would have to jump a very high bar before I consider them (Toxaris's EPUBTools for DOCX cleanup is one).

Side Note: Did you see Microsoft got rid of full-license purchase of Microsoft Office 2019??? Now you have to pay monthly/yearly fees!

Quote:
It's always something. And if you think about it, all this customization, etc.--what's the upside to it? That the client can do the work themselves? (And not pay you, the originator and creator of this out-of-the-box system?)
Those darned spreadsheets putting our slide-rule-operators out of business. :P

What's the purpose of any automation and efficiency gains?

In IT, you automate everything so you don't run into the issues in the first place, the entire place runs like a well-oiled machine. Things that took hours/minutes now take a button press. Uptime trends towards 99.999+%.

And there's always going to be those newer edge-cases:

I teach everyone I work with about Styles? I just saved myself (and them) tons of headaches, and now they need me for higher-level Problem X instead of (monotonous, horribly boring, "Enter-at-the-end-of-every-line" cleanup).

Quote:
Indeed. (What are you doing up at what, nearly 3? You're getting as bad as I am with the "no sleep" thing....)
Thought you knew I'm a night owl.

That's something else I have to automate away, sleep!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-18-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote