View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Also depends on how technical your team is, their current skillsets (do they all know Word or InDesign? Do they even know HTML/CSS?), and how much you can automate beforehand.
Yabbut, if the client was like that, they wouldn't be contracting the work. Right?

Quote:
Maths??? FORGET ABOUT IT!
Oh, sure, RUB IT IN.
Spoiler:
(Tex is consulting with me on a book that's pretty much all scientific notation/math, all the time.)

Quote:
You're wrong.
Nope, you're just addicted to Open Source and you have that mindset that anything NOT OS = "eeevil." But I love ya anyway.

Quote:

If you're working B2B, consistently working with the same publisher across hundreds/thousands of documents (Journal articles, or consistently Styled books), then perhaps you can talk... but it would require a lot of customized workflows/backends/tools.
It's always something. And if you think about it, all this customization, etc.--what's the upside to it? That the client can do the work themselves? (And not pay you, the originator and creator of this out-of-the-box system?)

Quote:
And you're always going to come across these insane edge cases (2 columns with 1-column abstract up top? Top/Bottom floats? My book requires text to shrink like Alice in Wonderland?).
Yep.

Quote:
Throwing an author updating things into the mix? Yeesh... that's starting back from square one, unless you have some way to completely control/sanitize their input.

And again, every step in conversion isn't automated, there's still quite a bit of manual labor and checking that has to happen any time you convert between formats.

And Print as output? My gods, the Widows/Orphans alone...
Indeed. (What are you doing up at what, nearly 3? You're getting as bad as I am with the "no sleep" thing....)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote