View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #99
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which Android reading apps that handle ePub are not garbage? That is, they respect the CSS instead of having just a series or overrides that do not respect the CSS. Do any of them allow selective overrides?
Both PocketBook (by Obreey) and Bookari (aka Mantano) work well enough to keep me happy - and I'm quite picky.

PocketBook is completely free, even though it has many features often found only in paid-for versions of other apps, so the best thing for you to do is just try it yourself. It does have a slightly quirky user interface so some features aren't always immediately obvious. It also has a per-book choice of 2 renderers (Adobe-based or Webkit-based) the latter will happily honour some CSS that the former won't, e.g.
- font-variant:small-caps (simulated, unless you use a few tricks to reference a sideloaded true small-caps font)
- pseudo-selectors, such as first-letter, first-line
- boxes with rounded corners
... ... probably many more.

I don't know what CSS you're particularly interested to preserve but the usual suspects (dropcaps, raisedcaps, blockquotes, embedded fonts) display just as well on my smartphone as they do on my Kobo.

Bookari also has a per-book choice of 2 renderers, one is the usual Adobe-based variety, the other is aimed at EPUB3. I haven't used the EPUB3 one enough to critique it. All my EPUB3 books work quite happily in the older Adobe-based renderer. I've had Bookari Premium version for years so I don't know which features are missing from the free version.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-06-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: moved 'embedded fonts' ref to correct place
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote