View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
This is my one big problem with e-books - they're not permanent. I have been using computers a really long time, and I know that formats change. Eventually the formats we're using today will be replaced. There may be a way to convert my purchased e-books to whatever comes next. Maybe not. Who can say? I've kept a lot of documents over the years on various storage formats - disk, zip drives, etc - they're very hard to read data from now.

There's also the risk of data loss. As of now, all of my family photos, movies, and my music is digital. Next comes my books. I even back them up. That's all well and good, but most people don't back up. It's technical, a hassle and difficult to do right.

I can say for sure that my paper books will still be usable in 20-30 years. So I'll keep my favorites and probably get rid of the rest.

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote