View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #51
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My Mom is 85 and I'm always trying to tell her to stop overdoing it so she doesn't get injured. Finally, last year, she agreed to no longer go on the roof. She also agreed that if she goes up on a ladder, she would wait for me or neighbor to hold said ladder still. That's pretty much it. The real problem now is her frustration level because she can't do as much stuff as she could 5 years ago.
The maintenance man at my retirement home retired about 3 months ago at age 82. He's been going up on the roof at least twice a year. His replacement is a much younger man, only 76. He was on the roof about 3 or 4 weeks ago to remove a misplaced satellite dish. Everybody's different. I wouldn't go up on that roof for any amount of money.

I got the tail end of a story last week about a 95 year old skydiver. I'm not quite sure what the story was but I'm pretty sure a 95 year old was skydiving. I think President Bush the first did something similar. I just googled it and found that last year a 102 year old grandmother celebrated her birthday by skydiving last year.

Also the oldest bungee jumper, according to Guiness, made a 708 foot bungee jump at age 96.

When I was younger I was in the Houston Bike club and made 50 or 60 mile rides on a lot of Sundays with the club in the hot Houston weather. Probably 1/3 of the people on those rides were in their 60s or 70s. On one ride from Houston to Austin, 200 miles on the route we had to take, almost half of the people who finished were in their 70s and 80s. This wasn't a race of course. Everybody went at their own pace and the older people were usually a little slower arriving. By the way, half that ride was uphill.

Everybody has different limits and as long as we're thinking clearly we should be able to define those limits for ourselves.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote