View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Most of my experience is with Japanese texts, and there I have learned that horizontal is now apparently as acceptable as vertical, but AFAIK books are always right-to-left (and "back" to front!).
As far as I know in Kindle e-books horizontal layouts for Chinese and Japanese read left-to-right, top-to-bottom and page progression is left-to-right, the same as English. Vertical layouts read top-to-bottom, right-to-left and page progression right-to-left. I would appreciate someone who knows these languages correcting me if I am wrong about that.

I have seen signs that Amazon is working on supporting vertical layout for Traditional Chinese, but I suspect that won't be ready for six months or more. (Support for Traditional Chinese is called tcn-reflow-language internally and a new feature called tcnvertical-reflow-language is partially supported in the latest version of the Kindle Previewer.)
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote