View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Posting this here, just to keep Geoff happy (although it has dairy in it, so he can't actually eat it...)

Naan breads

I make 4 large naans with this - you could easily get 6 smaller ones from it

Preparation time - about 5 minutes
Sitting around time - about 2 hours
Cooking time - up to 12 mins for 4, 18 mins for 6

Ingredients
450g plain white flour
Just under 2 tsp dried yeast - a bit less if the kitchen is very warm
60 ml hand warm water
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Plain yoghurt
2 tablespoon oil (just plain sunflower or similar, not olive oil or flavoured...)
1-2 tsp dried coriander leaf (cilantro), or more
1-2 tsp chopped garlic (I use Lazy Garlic), or more

Method
Half hour before mixing the dough add the coriander leaf and garlic to the oil, and leave to sit at room temperature.
Put the warm water into a small bowl and dissolve the sugar in it. Add the yeast, and stir.
Weight the flour and put flour and salt into a mixing bowl
Add yeasty water and stir in
Stir in oil with coriander and garlic
Add enough yoghurt to make a slightly sticky dough
Knead until nice and elsatic (I use my food mixer for this - which takes about 3 mins, then finish it by hand)
Put in a warm bowl at least twice the height of the dough, cover bowl wth clingfilm or polythene bag, and leave to rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or so - it should be about double at the end of it.
Once risen, heat flat griddle until hot - if it's not non-stick, lightly oil it first. If it is, don't.
Also turn grill on high and put a grill pan near the heat (if you don't have a grill, or it's being used for something else, you can cook both sides in the griddle - it just takes longer)
Whilst everything is heating up, break the dough into 4-6 balls.
Cover one ball lightly with flour and roll/press out into a circle-ish of the size you want the naan
Put naan on griddle and cook for 2 minutes, or until it starts puffing
Transfer to grill pan to cook the top - this takes about 1 minute. Alternatively, flip it over and cook for another minute on the griddle
Once cooked, place on plate and cover with clean cloth
Repeat - if you use the griddle & grill method you can start the next naan cooking whilst the previous one is under the grill, which saves a bit of time
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote