View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
readabit
Enthusiast
readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.readabit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, NOOK Color.
Question Recommendations for EInk Android Reader with Google Play Store

Greetings!

I've been wanting a EInk Android tablet for reading for a long time. I've recently come across the Boyue Likebook Mars ( https://smile.amazon.com/Likebook-Re...dp/B07H4GF6HD/ ) and I'm curious about people's experiences with it and whether folks would recommend it or something else.

I'll primarily be using this device for reading ePubs in Moon+ Reader Pro, and maybe also some PDFs in Mendeley. I've never had an eink device (eg, Kindle) before, so I'll be transitioning from a regular Android tablet for my reading.

My priorities/preferences:
  • Budget of ~$250 (Likebook Mars is currently $240, thus why I'm considering it).
  • Google Play Store integration (ideally installed when I receive it).
  • Ease of use (eg, decent UI and sufficient RAM, CPU, etc.).
  • Good reading experience in variety of light (eg, night, outdoor sun, etc.).
  • Good battery life. This is of course relative, so I'm interested in people's real-world experiences. I'm following this battery thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315340) so feel free to share battery-related comments there.

I can't find where I read this, but I thought I saw a few comments somewhere about folks having trouble with the included Play Store not recognizing their previous purchases. If so, can anyone tell me if that's been resolved? Are there any issues with downloaded apps automatically updating? I'd like to avoid having to side-load app updates.

Here's the apps I plan to install (just to give you a further sense of how I plan to use the device):
  • Avast (mostly for app locking, because I want to protect apps like Google Drive).
  • Moon+ Reader Pro
  • Google Drive (for getting books to device, syncing reading positions, etc.)
  • FolderSync
  • Mendeley (for PDFs)
  • Pocket (ReadItLater)

I know there's also devices like the BOOX Nova Pro ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07L95KPFM/ ), but since I don't care about having a Wacom pen for this device (though I love having that on my main tablet) I'd rather not pay extra for that.

Thoughts, recommendations, etc.? Is the Mars my best option currently, given the above, or are there other devices folks would recommend I consider? Or are there more expensive devices that folks would make a case for being worth the additional cost (in the context of my particular goals)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
readabit is offline   Reply With Quote