View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
At the moment it's very buggy... I've installed FBReader, Moon Reader, and Koreader; when I long click/press on a book, in the box that comes up when I tap Open With it only gives me Neo Reader as an option.
There are definitely some bugs with the new firmware. That seems to be the case with all software. Just check out the other forums and you will see.

As for other reading apps, I am not experiencing the same issues as you. I can open books with any of the other ereading apps I have installed on both my Nova Pro and my Note Pro on the 2.1.1 firmware. I regularly use Moon+ Reader Pro at the moment for a book that I am reading in Japanese. I am also using Cool Reader to verify what I have read in a translation. I also have various other ereading apps installed and have not experienced any difficulties using any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
A problem that's not specific to this ereader but all eink android readers is that apps that aren't specifically written for a grayscale screen often (typically) don't work well. Their UI can use different colors for contrast, e.g, a yellow clickable thing on a blue background, but when those colors are mapped to grayscale they can end up being very close in grayscale values and then it's very difficult to figure out what's on the screen.
This is very definitely a problem and can be frustrating. However, adjusting the optimization settings can make a huge difference. With the 2.1.1 firmware, I use the optimization function as one of the five possible options for the floating Navigation Ball app. I can then adjust the settings while inside the app.

By unchecking options like "whiten background" or checking options like "enhance font", things which were not visible beforehand can sometimes be made visible. This has certainly helped me with the usability of certain apps.

Although there is still room for much improvement, I'm very happy with both my Note Pro and my Nova Pro and would certainly recommend them to others. But an individual's experience will depend largely upon their needs and their expectations. Such devices will not appeal or suit the needs of everyone.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote