View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
Hello!

I'm thinking of buying a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2 because I like the bigger than 6" screen and the idea of the ComfortLight option.

Here are my concerns:

1.) I've never owned an e-ink e-reader before.

2.) I have to buy it from Amazon via a seller there who is selling new but I contacted Kobo and they said they will not honor their 1-year warranty.
Why do you have to buy it from Amazon through a third party seller? Walmart (Kobo's US partner) has it listed at $180. Then you can return it to the store if you don't like it and should have the 1 year warranty.

I just bought a Clara from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Ordered Wednesday, delivered Thursday. Very happy with it.

Quote:
3.) Seems a lot of people are having problems with this model Kobo, specifically when it comes to connecting it to a Windows 10 computer (I see what seems like a lot of complaints about this model not always wanting to connect)
Check the Kobo forums. I honestly don't remember hearing problems about the H20 Edition 2. It seems pretty rock-solid (though to be fair, I pay more attention to the Clara).

Quote:
I know I know I should buy it directly from Kobo but I have $200 in Amazon Gift Card money and I'm otherwise a poor bastard lol
Well, I guess that answers why you wouldn't buy from Walmart.

Quote:
My other option is the Kindle Oasis 2 (again for the bigger screen) but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money (and I really like the idea of the ComfortLight on the Kobo).
I haven't used an Oasis 2. I've owned Nooks and Kobos and have only really played around a bit with relatives Kindles. Kobo's software is preferable to me. Things like being able to display the series in your library are just nice extras.

But Kindles are nice readers too. They have a better dictionary, which matters to some readers. X-Ray seems like a nice feature if you're reading a book with tons of characters.

But the Oasis won't have the color changing light the H2O has.

Quote:
I guess I'm looking for people who own this particular Kobo who are ready to truthfully say: It's fine and works A-OK for me (assuming that IS the case).

Also I considered going with the cheaper Kindle Paperwhite 4 or the Kobo Clara HD but after looking at the Paperwhite 4 and Oasis 2 at Best Buy I'm convinced I need something larger than a 6" screen. The main reason I want an e-ink e-reader is because I need a larger sized font and the 6" Paperwhite 4 seemed very cramped when I was testing it (I seemed to enjoy Font Size 8 but it was very cramped on the Paperwhite 4).
I've owned two Kobos (the Aura and the Clara HD). I bought my Aura refurbished five years ago and it still works fine. It even still receives software updates. I just replaced it because I wanted the screen upgrade, really. I'll be giving my Aura to a relative and have no reason to suspect it will fail any time soon.

Having said that, I don't own an H2O (1 or 2). I just don't want a larger than 6" screen.

Quote:
Also what pitfalls do I need to know when it comes to Kobo?
For instance, should I always convert epub to kepub with something like Kepubify? If I buy a book from Amazon will it convert well to epub or kepub or it is better to buy a Kindle e-ink e-reader and convert epub to AZW? You know things like that lol
Reading about formats and thngs can get overwhelming when you don't own an ereader. You don't know what matters and what is just esoteric talking.

If you want to start the process, I'd say download an older version of Kindle for PC, Calibre and the Alf plug-ins. Install everything and try importing your books purchased from Amazon into Calibre. You can do this before you buy an ereader.

I use the Calibre Kobo Touch Extended plug-in. I have ePubs on my PC and when I tell Caliber to send them to my Kobo it converts them as they're sent. No muss, no fuss.

Quote:
John 'FulciLives' Coleman
I like Italian horror, but I don't feel the Fulci love So you may not want to trust anything I have to say

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-27-2019 at 04:22 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote