View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
The whole purpose of these cloud services is to sync devices so they all have the most up to date copy of your files. Taking away the ability to sync, and saying "use a browser instead", turns their cloud service into ... an ordinary website. Nothing wrong with websites, we've been using them for a long time. But they're not like a cloud service.

You've heard the saying, "One foot in the grave" (", and the other on a banana peel")? It looks like Dropbox just made a trip to the supermarket to buy the bananas. Their company is not long for this Earth IMHO. Much like PhotoBucket. I'm not sure it's the smartest business decision to lure customers in with free access, then later try to hold them hostage until they pay up.

That's the main reason why I never used DropBox, and set up my own cloud instead. I predicted this would be coming way back when. And I also predict that in the future there will be zero free devices allowed, it will be a 100% paid service. If they have any customers left by then.

Depending on online storage for your stuff is not a great decision IMHO. Not online backup services. Not DropBox like services. Not photo hosting services. Not eBook retailers who say they'll "keep all your books for you". You can USE these services for convenience, but don't DEPEND on them. You and you alone are responsible for storing and backing up your stuff. Use these services as a backup system, for convenience. Never as primary storage though.
In general, free isn't a good long term business model. I've had a paid dropbox account for a while. I also pay for extra storage on iCloud. I'm a belt and suspenders sort of guy, so I like having a number of copies of things like my photos, music and ebooks in different places. Each person has different needs, though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote