View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The Pimpernel reference (I only caught the one), I thought was rather odd. An Englishman such as "Paul" might be presumed to think of the Scarlet Pimpernel in heroic terms, but here we have the objectionable Elliot describe "Punter" (the presumed villain) as "your jihadist Pimpernel par excellence".
At one point Oakley said to Toby about Quinn, "So, dear man, where in God's name is your nice new master? We seek him here, we seek him there."

But I didn't take the Pimpernel references as being more than an indication of how deeply ingrained the story is, perhaps especially for spookish Brits. Fun for us, coming so soon after reading it.

Last edited by issybird; 02-21-2019 at 09:32 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote