View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, that was unpleasant.
Yes, wasn't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird (emphasis added)
There was a lot of stupid going on here, most especially in regard to letters, files and so forth and how discoverable they all were. Why would any of them, Kit, Jeb, Toby, think that they'd be able to change things and that they wouldn't be found out and obliterated?
Yes, there was a lot of stupid going on. Sadly.

Quote:
I have a lot of issues with the book and I'm sure we'll get to them, but there was a lot I enjoyed about it, also. This was absolutely a page-turner, from the start in medias res, to teasing out who the players were, to jumping around in the action and the point of view. The writing evoked action, timing and consequence.
I've read several books by Le Carré over the years, and I've mostly enjoyed them. Sometimes the writing seemed a bit disjointed, but it worked for me. On this one? Totally disjointed, and given everything, really unpleasant. I feel a strong need to go read a Georgette Heyer to take the taste out of my mouth. Or maybe a bit of P.G. Wodehouse.

IAC, a stretch to 2 stars for me, and I'm really disappointed, since I was quite looking forward to it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote