View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Well, that was unpleasant.

One of the reasons I generally choose the books I do is that I like to see things that turn out better than expected and that have some sort of hope, or at least where the bad guys get some form of come-uppance. This was just depressing. Watching Kit, Emily, and Toby all end up in worse situations and hopeless ones at that is not fun to read. Maybe it is more realistic than 99.44/100ths of other thriller books but that's not why I read books. I can read the news for depressing stories. Maybe he is just trying to subvert the trope of the hero winning at the end due to some luck and daring do. (Some tropes are there for a reason!)

That said, I do enjoy Le Carre's writing. It is different enough from other "thriller" writers to be engaging, if only as a change of pace. I don't think I could read more than one of his books in a row without getting depressed though, even if the ending was more satifying. Other than the abrupt change of viewpoint, time, and setting between chapters 2 and 3, I was completely lost about who this Kit guy was and how this tied into the main story for almost all of chapter 3, I did enjoy actually reading this. It obviously didn't go where I hoped it would go but it was interesting enough to keep me engaged after I understood chapter 3. I haven't read any other books where they are trying to expose a cover-up like this.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote