View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #22
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, your comment was following on from discussion of the driver. I assumed you meant the changes came from that.
Ok.

Quote:
Looks like it is replaced with opf:meta. Or at least that is what is in the epub3 I just created.
Yes, I think that's what it is now, but I haven't seen it either. I think it needs more visibility and clarity in the spec, as you're the only other person I've talked to who even recognized it.

Quote:
I clean the books and make sure the metadata is correct. But, I don't care about the layout of the OPF or NCX. About the only thing I do in the OPF is to set the language to "en-GB" so the spelling checker shows less errors if the book appears to use UK English. And that's basically if there is more "colour" than "color".
I clean everything: the html (who in their right mind uses divs for paragraphs, unclosed style tags, self-closing title tags, and a nbsp instead of normal spaces), CSS (you don't need to put ! important on everything and assign ids each overriding the font to each sentence), old, ncx (the navigation docs the publishers create are atrocious! out of ordered, duplicated indexes!). All epubs I own are consistent and pass all the validators.

Quote:
Ok, that's a difference in viewpoint. To me, deciding which file and where tends to be the responsibility of the controlling script.
Yes. To me, the right balance is having tools support simple recursive conversion of unconverted files, and doing the rest in the script.

Quote:
It was for other readers. I'm a bit tired of the, "But I thought I had to install it" response after someone complains about books turning up as kepubs.
That annoys me too . And the question: "how do I install kepubify"! Everyone (well, everyone who isn't reading this) on Windows is so used to installers and wizards for everything, they don't appreciate portable apps! It drives me nuts.

Quote:
I'm sure the firmware doesn't read the epub3 metadata at the moment. But, if I can find it in a book I got from Kobo, I can justify a bit of a push to read it. And hopefully fix some of the other things at the same time.
Yes. I'll see if I can find it too, and if I do, I'll also add support to seriesmeta as well.

EDIT: P.S. And regarding the conversion speeds: when I did some testing a year ago, an average ~300pp novel takes kepubify .4s to convert vs 13s for the Calibre plugin. Large manuals like The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup takes kepubify 6s to convert vs 14-20 min for the Calibre plugin (it gets slow at either the css stuff or the span stuff, and it stalls 10% of the time, that might be a bug). Also, kepubify handles malformed epubs (broken opf, invalid html) better than Calibre most of the time.

Last edited by geek1011; 02-07-2019 at 11:48 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote