View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, to me, the ugliness is very rellevent as I'm the one who has to maintain the mess. I regret putting it in the plugin.
Ugly code or ugly to use? Obviously you don't write and edit novels and read lots of books compared to programming. It works fine to copy & paste. Less time to reformat than the Annotations Plugin needs to simply have a list of books. Very handy to select ONE book, click click click and Ctrl V in the text edit window. Very complete info too: Internal chapter number, chapter heading text, % distance into chapter, highlighted source and note. All in desired order.

It would be trivial to format in Calibre as below, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER, it's really simple to reformat after copy/paste. You can see some source text is deleted and internal chapter label changed to Loc. Some novels don't hhave the word chapter in heading, or even numbers.
Sample (The * or X means annotation edited in or ignored)
Code:
Loc 10 Chapter 11: Tracking: 50.0%
  Src: They do, Freyja and
*   Note: That's true,

Loc 10 Chapter 11: Tracking: 51.0%
  Src: and later me and said that she
*  Note: and me. Later she told me

Loc 11 Chapter 12: Demigods: 51.0%
  Src: that night, Alice crept
 *  Note: Del ,

Src: was sure being
  Note: herself

Src: or a great great aunt.
  Note: Del a great

Src: hand was colder
  Note: seemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which shows how little research you did if that was a prime reason. Ask anyone, are Kobo devices good for PDF? The answer is "Get a tablet.". The answer is the same for Kindles and any of the other sub-8" e-ink devices. The larger e-ink devices, maybe. I don't have the experience with them to comment.
Yet again you make stupid assumptions. The best PDF eink reading solution used to be a Sony for drawing offices, about $1200 then reduced to about $800 when discontinued. There is a replacement. I can't justify it just for PDFs and it didn't exist when I bought my Kindle PW2. The Kindle 9.7" DXG sounded plausible but was discontinued for a while.

I have tablets and laptops. Since forever (1998 anyway for laptops). LCD screens are ghastly for reading for hours. My 2002 Laptop was/is 1600 x 1200 and STILL better than new 1920 x1080 models for A4 due to height and it's totally non-reflective. Still best LCD I've ever used to read PDFs. I read eBooks on it too before my first eink eReader. I use a 2017 model laptop with Linux Mint to work on.

I got a Kindle DXG on special offer from Amazon not long after my original paperwhite, which my wife got, and then my grandson when she got a PW3.

I bought the Kobo Aura H2O at release because the SD card slot would solve PDF storage issue (not enough space on DXG). I bought it primarily for reading ebooks and proofing as the lack of touch made the DXG awkward. The resolution and 6.8" sounded feasible. Really it's fine for smaller format books and A5 manuals, but not for the 1000s of A4 service booklets and 100s of old UK magazines.
The Sony large PDF eink are for drawing offices, etc, they need a special application (no mass storage mode) and don't do ebooks.

Maybe you should research what users beyond ordinary readers need and outside of the bubble of mass market Kindle & Kobo. Really with 90% of ebook sales, non-Kindles will be niche or doomed. Regulatory failure.

No, LCD or OLED tablets and laptops are not a solution for people reading for prolonged periods. I've tried. Maybe if they had properly matt screens it would help. Shiny is cheaper and looks better in the shop.
Even so most need PSU to give anything like 10 hours use.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote