View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
maximus83
Nameless Being

Reader app that respects publisher CSS

Has anyone found an Android reader app that will respect the publisher CSS, similar to how the Calibre built-in reader does on PC?

I normally use Moon+ reader, and it's great. I've also tried nearly all the other leading android readers (to name a few: FB Reader, CoolReader, Presitigio, Readera, Aldiko, Mandano, etc.). However, I have a few books that have tricky layout and CSS. These books render perfectly fine on apps that don't do much messing with the CSS: 3 examples are the Calibre built-in reader, Adobe Digital editions for PC, and the Google Play Books reader. But on 100% of the Android reader apps, they will mangle or at least seriously rearrange the layout of the pages in ways that are deterimental. I've tried simple in-app CSS tweaks, to no avail. What I'm looking for is a simple android reader app that leaves the publisher CSS alone.

ETA: I know that Moon+ has "publisher preview" button to show you the publisher's rendering. Strangely enough, that works perfectly but is read/view-ONLY. It only shows what it WOULD look like, but you lose all the functionality of the reader app so it's not useful beyond showing you what the content would look like if the reader weren't messing with it. I actually pinged the developer once and asked if they could just enable a setting to "render content per publisher" but otherwise leave all reader functionality enabled. He agreed that'd be useful but it's never happened, so I assume not much demand for that.

Last edited by maximus83; 01-29-2019 at 01:24 PM.