View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i explained how the client cannot possibly be the cache
i will walk you though it again
i retrieved a book from content server to calibre companion on tablet A
i spotted an error when reading so I edited the book back on the PC, using sicgil, thus updating the copy in calibre library - on the C drive , in default location
then I took tablet B, which was OFF, turned it ON, and used it to get the same book via the same connection. NB this table was off until AFTER i had edited the book, and has never had the book on it.
that tablet - call it tablet B received the old - un-edited copy from the content server
so it cannot be the client - the client was never on until after the book had been edited

I observed this with other books , some weeks ago, and posted about it then, but I got a blanket denial that the content server does not and cannot cache

so i set out steps to reproduce the problem in my previous post,
someone needs to take those and prove or disprove my claim on other equipment
it is a simple test which will only take a couple of minutes.

meanwhile I confirmed AGAIN, that if i shut down calibre and remove book from tablets A& B, then re-acquire it, I then get the updated version

[ last time around, I went even further, I did another edit, removed book from devices, re-acquired it a 3rd time, and did NOT get the most recent edit.. to get the most recent edit I have to stop / start calibre- stop /starting apps / clearing app caches, or even power cycling tablets in between content fetches makes no difference.

clearly ( to me ) content server or related processes are holding stuff in RAM and re-using that to fulfill requests. [ until such time as either calibre is stopped/ started, or cache is overwritten by other requests from server .)
I searched calibre app data and saw nothing that could be a cached book

ps you asked about network
the complete path is :PC with calibre library is wired to a GB switch, which is wired to my router
the tablets use wifi to reach an access point [ asus R56U ]which also wired to the same router[ virginmedia hub]
so the tablet app - calibre companion - sees the content server at local lan address 192.168.0.72 and asks for content to download from there. both tablets do this.

PS yet more confimation. if I mirror calibre library to dropbox then tell CC to get book from dropbox, it always gets the version that was most recently mirrored into dropbox. so I could edit book, sync to dropbox, get from dropbox, and always get the most recent version. it is only when I get from calibre content server , without stopping calibre, that i get previous cached versions

Last edited by stumped; 01-29-2019 at 11:07 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote