View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think that's probably because, ultimately, I agree with you. I think the language of the novel is reinforcing of the status quo, but at the same time I agree with Bookpossum, that the intention was to try an unite gender in the Gethenians as if yin-and-yang was applicable. I see these as two sides of the same argument.

In the 1988 redux of her essay "Is Gender Necessary?", Le Guin admits "If I had realized how the pronouns I used shaped, directed, controlled my own thinking, I might have been “cleverer”". But the pronouns are almost the least of it, there are the "sons" references, the "like a man" and "like a woman" references, and the entire idea of yin-and-yang as a representation for the two genders I think is divisive. Sure, it says the two sides are part of the whole, but it still says there are two sides; I don't think that's true even here, but on Gethen it definitely is not true.

I do like what Le Guin did with Gethen and its single gender, I think it is instructive, it's just a shame it was let down by the language. She may not have gotten it all right, but her own tentative explorations made a starting point, a discussion point for others. And that's a good thing.
Thanks for the reference to the Le Guin essay, gmw. I hadn't come across it and it was interesting to read, especially in the light of our discussions.

And yes, we should appreciate the book for its trail-blazing qualities, rather than simply find fault with it because it was written 50 years ago, and would have been done differently now.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote