View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
guijo
guijo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo (2012)
Thanks for this very nice tutorial which set me on the way to do it on my Kobo !

Here is what I did for my Kobo Glo then, very slightly different from your Kobo Aura.

Edit: some pictures are attached to this post, but can only be seen when you are logged in

1. First I followed a wrong way, thinking the LEDs all around were used for backlight, after having removed pretty much all the screws and 3 connectors (slightly scary but hope is all around).
I know, this is not what had been described above by gezzer, but as I was working on a different model, I was thinking "who knows". I think I read somewhere these LEDs are actually infrared LEDs for the touchscreen.

2. Still following my wrong way, I thought inserting pieces of gel filter between the LEDs and the screen would work. Well, il obviously didn't: after plugging everything back in, the screen was still shining plain white.

3. Back to the beginning, this is where the actual mod starts and where wisdom finally struck me: I detached the screen from the front case by simply pushing gently on it (it is just glued). And you wouldn't even need to remove any connector to get there. Pfewww!

4. Ta daa! Starts looking like something we've seen before, doesn't it? I gently removed the flexible circuit board strip holding the LEDs, trying my best not to break anything, just like gezzer advised.

5. Here comes the tricky part: on the Kobo Glo, you can't actually put one single strip of gel filter between the LEDs and the screen, like gezzer did: there are 5 notches, one for each LED, and I needed to cut and stick 5 micropieces of gel filter (roughly 0,5*4 mm each). I used regular double-sided tape and tweezers to put them into place.
The good news is: you can actually keep the Kobo and its lights on (though the touchscreen won't work at this stage), quite helpful given the watchmaking skills required at this step. It is also very helpful for live-testing the mod!

6. Here we go!
I know, my gel filter has a very strong red color, but that was the only one in the pack to have an actual dimming effect. And I don't really care about the color, as long as the blue light goes away (especially since I keep my e-reader 10 cm away from my eyes in the middle of the night, short-sighted as I am).

So here I am, having bought a pack of 5 30*30 cm gel filters to end up using roughly 10 mm˛ of it. But I am so glad that not only my Kobo Glo still works after everything I had unplugged, but also that the mod actually worked!

Hope this can help someone just like the original post helped me.

Last edited by guijo; 03-15-2024 at 08:26 AM.
guijo is offline   Reply With Quote