View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #497
bastelquastel
bastelquastel began at the beginning.

Device: Max2
Recent update really has annoying drawbacks

Among those many changes that the latest firmware update (November 30th, 2018) has brought me, just to mention a few, in case somebody has some work-arounds:

Before, I could add one app as shortcut to the launch bar on the bottom. I did this with the most often used app: Browser. Clicking Browser would bring up the WiFi activation dialog, when not in WiFi, and clicking OK was just enough (it would auto-return once the connection was established). Browser had this nice small see-through button for full screen, which, in case it would hide something, could be moved around.

All gone now:

Now, the Browse symbol can no longer be added to the launch bar (now at the left side). There is this totally useless Shop symbol (for Chinese books only, not useful, at least not for some of us) and you cannot replace anything in the launch bar. So you have to click App first, then search for Browser, click that, say OK to the WiFi dialog, which will then no longer auto-return. You have to slide the activiation slider to the right, instead, and click the return arrow afterwards, once this was successful. I hate starting the browser now.

Also, the full screen symbol is now super big, hiding a lot of content. And it cannot be shifted around anymore.
Besides that, it is really redundant, because it shows backward and forward arrows. And that just above the hardware buttons for backward and forward, which could be used instead. And resizing buttons. Resizing could be achieved by touchscreen swipes instead.
The Lab function, which hides non-content, is no alternative to this, for me, because it is way too complicated for me to handle.

Hence, I can no longer easily start my browser and no longer use it in full screen mode.

Any help?

Apart from that, only minor annoyances:
* You have to re-register your device to google play store, and probably to all other services as well.
* The settings button is no longer underneath the top bar (where it could easily be reached from anywhere) but in the side bar (where it could accidentically be clicked).
* When using new two page mode in pdf reader, and clicking on words for the dictionary, max2 changes back to portrait mode for the dicitionary, and back to landscape afterwards (it should rather stay on landscape mode all the time).

Other features are still way too complicated, for example going to annotation in pdf reader is still:
* press menu button
* click on More ...
* click on Notes
* click on Scribble
* click on symbol for pen style
* use pen
* click on symbol for thickness
* click on "2"
* click on left arrow to minimize.
Why is there no mode that will always remember my pen preferences and will always be active for pdfs? Or a single button for toggling between annotating and highlighting, which would always stick to the last mode when starting to read a pdf?
I, then, could always be in annotating mode. Without hours of clicking first.

Any hints on this maybey?

There's still no real home-button-shortcut-long-press-sort-of-workaround anywhere.
bastelquastel is offline   Reply With Quote