View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
The main downside to the Nova for me is also the lack of a microSD card slot. I have a 128 gb microSD card in my Mars, even though I'll never come close to filling it! However, I believe that the 32 gb of internal storage in the Nova will be more than enough for my uses. I've loaded most of what I want on the Nova and I'm using about 6 gb of internal storage.

As for bugs, the Mars had its share when it was released in September. Two or three firmware updates addressed most of the issues. Boyue seems to be more responsive to their customers than they used to be. Onyx can do the same with the Nova over the next month or two, if they wish. But the Nova, at this early stage, has fewer bugs than the Mars did at the same early stage.

As for performance - if we're only talking reading ebooks, people won't see any difference between these two. However, I do see a difference when I am opening apps and when using the couple of apps I have that are more resource-intensive. In both cases, the Nova is quicker.

People who own the Mars report different degrees of orange in the "warm" lighting. Mine is fairly pale, while some say theirs is too orange. My Nova is more orange than my Mars, and I find it a little better for reading for any length of time.

Onyx needs to better integrate Play Store in the Nova. I can download apps but Play Store doesn't not "remember" which apps I already own, and wants me to pay for them. In their firmware 2.0, Onyx has chosen to move away from the home screen concept and offer a different setup, with tabs/icons along the left edge of the display for 'library', 'apps', 'settings', and so on. I preferred the older setup, but it's no biggie.

Some people report poor WiFi on their Nova, but mine seems just fine.

I do flip back and forth, but I always end up leaning a little in the Nova's direction. The Nova weighs a little less than the Mars as well, which is a nice plus.

People will do well with either device. But if I were pressed to pick one, the Nova would edge out the Mars.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote