Oh yeah, there was something wrong with the html alright. I did open the html in a text editor. There were using "div" code for empty lines between paragraphs. Fine. Except, they weren't closing them on the same line. At the end of the file I had hundreds of "/div" s. Lines and lines of them. Once I deleted those, it opened much easier.
And yeah, for the first time I did contact Amazon and tell them to take it back because the formatting sucked. (I could have lived with the extra lines between paragraphs; 2 instead of 1 or 0; but by the third time a paragraph "broke" while the same character was still speaking, I was "upset".)