View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #154
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Are there many cases of people who read novels searching for a word or phrase across multiple books? I can't come up with any need to do that. Please educate me. A Kindle is a very low horsepower device (computing power). That's got to be a heckuva burden on the poor thing to do all that parsing and processing. Can you turn that feature off?
I can't speak specifically for a reason to use this feature (except, as you mentioned) for research (or maybe a series of novels). But once the books have been indexed there isn't much involved in "processing." Unless I'm missing something here, the index is stored as a database and "searches" are almost instantaneous at that point. In Linux they have an "updatedb" command, which indexes all the files on the system. Then when you need to find something, you simply type "locate xxxx" and the command accesses a database, it doesn't do another search. If you add or delete a file between "updatedb" and issuing the "locate" command, it will still work off the old database. I'm guessing the Kindle does something similar.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote