View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Unlike Bookpossum, I wasn't thrilled with the way the book started. I generally like openings in media res, but here there was far too much description of the landscape for my liking--it didn't grab me at all.

Overall, I'm rather wishy-washy about the book. A lot of it seemed vaguely familiar--I may have read it many years ago--and pieces here and there reminded me of other works; I kept thinking of Green Darkness (the parallels of past and present), Brigadoon (dissatisfaction with current life vs. a romanticized past), and even The Haunting of Hill House (the obsessed person's pretense of leaving). I know, I'm a bit weird.

I couldn't make myself believe that Magnus's concoction was anything more than a version of LSD and the trips anything more than hallucinations. I wasn't particularly fond of the 14th-century setting at first but eventually became more interested in it. I liked Vita and the boys.

Mostly, there was little that stood out for me as especially noteworthy one way or the other.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote