View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
There were a lot of such works back in the 50's up through the 70's. On the Beach, Pat Frank's excellent Alas, Babylon. For some reason, I didn't really connect Lucifer's Hammer with the current Mad Max style post Apocalyptic fiction. Ellison's A Boy and his Dog, which was later made into a movie is another.
Regarding Lucifer's Hammer, I certainly wouldn't classify it as Mad Max style, but it does fall under apocalyptic and so meets the very broad specs in the OP. Actually, Footfall by the same authors could be said to fit as well, but I didn't like that very much (the ideas were interesting but it fails to get involving until near the end ... and there's a lot of book to wade through first).

My other recommendation, Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon, might suit the OP fairly closely, as it as definite horror elements mixed into the apocalypse.

For more recent work, The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey would be post-apocalyptic rather that apocalyptic - not sure now picky the OP might be in that respect - but it's most definitely a book worth reading (IMO, of course).

ETA: And to be topical, one might suggest Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I doubt if it's what the OP had in mind, but it's certainly a book about the apocalypse.

Last edited by gmw; 10-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote