View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My 2 cents …

1. I leave the Calibre DB on the PC HD alone -- no File Explorer, no NAS, No share, no nuthing

2. I do a normal RoboCopy backup to a local external HD - just in case -- each night, with a monthly to a disconnected external HD - just in case

3. I do a calibredb export (with options) to put a copy of just my epub and azw3 files in another flat folder. I use THAT folder to sideload my books onto my Kindle or other.

Now, if you keep the real Calibre DB on the local HD and just used iCloud (or whatever) only as a non-synced one-way (Mac Calibre DB --> Copy) repository of a backup copy of the real Calibre DB and refreshed the copy periodically, I'd think you'd be safe since you're not syncing.

I'm guessing that there's a way to control what iCloud folders sync. I know there is using Google Drive

You could maybe even run a copy of Calibre using the iCloud copy. It'll be out of date until you manually run the update.

Maybe some of the experts will jump in (heck -- I know they will)

Last edited by phossler; 10-07-2018 at 09:15 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote