View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
I am as critical of narrators as I am of actors.

It so happens that I have tried audiobooks. I would never ever pay for something that might be a machine-read text-to-speech mp3. These are the worst type of audiobooks that potential customers should be aware of.

And it so happens that I mostly do non-fiction, hardly ever fiction. I am highly sensitive to when the narrator does not understand what he is reading. Non-fiction is all about intellectual understanding, just like fiction is about emotional emphasis. Neither is simply about correct pronunciation. Too bad if the narrator misses the point in either case.

For fiction, radio drama is the best possible audio format, in my opinion. If those were on sale, I would perhaps pay for them, but I tend to find them for free on radio station websites.
You seem to be conflating text-to-speech with professionally narrated audiobooks. Audible, Downpour, etc. do not sell machine-read audiobooks; I'm unaware of anyone who does.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote