View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Let me start first by saying that I don't have an Aura One. But 2 things to keep in mind about ereaders.

There are YouTube videos out there comparing the speed of page turns between various readers, as if that's any important criteria for buying one. The differences are milliseconds, and it's still going to be faster than turning the page of a physical book. By the time your eyes go from the bottom right to the top left, the new text is ready, even if it should be slightly slower than a Kindle on a page turn. Milliseconds. My testing between other Kobo readers and a PW2 is that they were pretty much identical though.

The full glass front on the Aura One means you have full glass... full sheen... and no matte border as the frame as on most readers. Whether that's enough extra glare in your case (and I'd hesitate to call it "glare", it would be no worse than viewing a tablet's glass screen), only you can decide. If you're extremely touchy about glare normally, it "might" be a consideration.

Don't let the speed races decide what reader you're getting. Pick the features you want and how it actually functions as an ereader vs another brand. For myself, I love the Kobo readers I've had (the Glo, and now the Glo HD), and have always hated the Kindles. It's all about your personal preferences and your comfort while reading.

Edit: You snuck in a post while I was typing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap124 View Post
What bothers me about laggy touch is you don't know if the input registered. There is that awkward delay where you aren't sure if you should press again and risk double actions...or wait and see if it is just slow. I have a very old iPad that does this constantly and its very frustrating. I think this is absurd to still be happening on modern devices in 2018, esp on such a simple device with so few demands on it. I'm not picky about impreceptible differences...but when it causes confusion it's a deal breaker.
That is not the usual case for Kobo readers. Although I'll admit I had that issue on my first Glo, but found that it only happened with specific firmware. I just stayed on the firmware that didn't have the problem for me and was a perfectly happy camper having all the other features Kobo had over Kindle. With Kobo you can manage to stick to a different version of firmware. I believe still with Kindle, if you connect, you have no choice but to get the update and no way to roll back.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote