View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #154
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
<Shrug>. In my career (35+ years and counting), I've had more female bosses than male (at the first two levels above me). Having the power of promotion and paychecks over one doesn't seem to be powerless to me. I guess that just doesn't fit the meme here.
I'm not sure where this came from. I didn't see many women as bosses in The Three Musketeers (not even Milady fits that description).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Re my sidebar comment: Why didn't the Lady in question just say the equivalent of "Take a hike, chump"? A woman with a rich husband and her own jewels can't say no? Even in the times she certainly had enough derived power to do that. (It takes two to tango. . . .)
Are they her own jewels? In The Three Musketeers I am guessing not - although I'm no expert on French law of the time. Also, relationships of this nature may be started on seemingly agreeable terms but not end that way, and it's when things turn disagreeable that disparity in power becomes most apparent.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote