View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, not really. Most consumers don't remove DRM and many don't even know a book they buy for their Kindle even has DRM on it. These consumers will find that this feature won't work for them and when they bought their eBook Reader they were promised it would.

Dale
And they'll get angry, and a good portion of them will try to find out why, and that good portion will then discover the truth and tell their friends.

One of the reasons I fear that DRM is so prevalent in all forms of media is that consumers aren't advised properly about what it does, and what it prevents them from doing. But once they get stung by DRM there's no turning back. Nothing more galling than paying out money only to realise the product has been rendered useless by idiotic protection schemes or other market restricting techniques. My first experience of the ridiculousness of DRM/protection was with DVD. I imported a R1 DVD from America and couldn't play it on any of my players. A quick search, a few keypresses on my remote, and the region encoding on the DVD was stripped away.

DRM is redundant in all ways, apart from a false sense of security that it provides the content providers.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote