View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #3158
gomanual
gomanual began at the beginning.

Device: K3W, KV
Hello! I've been lurking around for a bit now and I wanted to take the plunge with my KV (9013 1007). I thought it would be nice to report my success with jailbreaking my device.
  • Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? Yes*
  • Is it a "refurbished" device? No
  • Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? Arrived with 5.8.11 (3243010037)
  • Is it registered? No*
  • Does it have ads (Special Offers)? Yes*
  • What country was it sold in? US
  • What country was it delivered to? US
  • Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar). Amazon (US)

* This is how the device came out of the box. The first thing I did with the device was to create the OTA update blocker directory, then I did connect it to the internet, registered it, and has Amazon remove the special offers.

After that I followed the directions in the wiki exactly and just ignored all of the caveats about more recent firmware versions. Worked like a charm; thank you guys for all the hard work developing and documenting this stuff

Obviously YMMV. I picked the Voyage because it's the oldest device still available new, and it looked like the easiest to take apart if I needed to get to the serial port connections.

I do have a question regarding upgrading to a newer firmware. Should I just stick to 5.8.7.0.1? Or am I good to jump up to the latest and greatest?
gomanual is offline   Reply With Quote