View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Ridcully
Enthusiast
Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ridcully ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10th gen. Paperwhite (2018)
Lightbulb Something non-Amazon like Kindle Paperwhite

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a new ereader as my Kindle 7th gen is starting to get e-ink "pockmarks" and I want something I can read in the dark.

I really like Kindle's collections, dictionaries and the bookmark/note taking feature, these are really things I wouldn't want to go without. I'm also a big fan of the touch screen, although I do wish it could be turned off while reading, reading with the touch screen while lying in bed can get tiring -- I loved the side buttons on old kindles for this reason, although they would fail within a couple of years.

I want weak backlighting and I'd like the ability to turn it off to save the battery. The Paperwhite lighting looks pretty good for that reason, but I'm wary of buying from Amazon again, because the build quality is meh and I want to get rid of Amazon's snooping. Also, Kindle's sidecar files are worthless for backup. I can't figure out how to read them, and when I restore them after a factory reset, the Kindle doesn't recognize them anymore.

So, anything that fits the bill, hopefully at or below Paperwhite's price? (My main priorities are lighting and dictionaries)
Ridcully is offline   Reply With Quote